Monday, December 24, 2007

Every end is a new beginning. (Yehuda)

I still like the original byline for the blog:

If you look you'll never find me
I've gone gaming I'll be back
Got to finish what I started
Got a few things on my stack
Got to ship a few more barrels
Got to trade a brick or two
Got to buy some more provisions
Got to run this train on through
Got to roll a few more 6's
Got to draw a few more cards
Got to shake hands with my neighbors
'Fore I'm back in my backyard
But if you look up to the night sky
That's my spaceship passing by
Give a wave That's me inside her
It's farewell but not goodbye

Every end is a new beginning. Change is the only constant.

When this blog first started, we would change the byline every few days on a whim. I don't know who wrote all of them, but some of them were quite funny. Just one little piece of artistic expression that is uniquely available in this medium.

Blogs come and go. Games come and go. For that matter, gamer interest comes and goes; people pick up a hobby and drop a hobby, or their interests within the hobby changes.

There are no right and wrong ways to live your life if you're not hurting yourself or others. I believe that time can be more or less well spent; but this depends a lot more on the spirituality of the person than on the activity.

Gone Gaming was quickly the best gaming blog out there, and its quality, if not its posting frequency, continued right to the end. Everyone involved can be proud of its content, which will remain online, helping and entertaining people in one form or another, for many years to come.

Here's a (slightly edited) letter I found in my mail archives:

Date: Jul 24, 2005 11:27 AM
Subject: Just an Idea
From: Koldfoot
----------------------------------------------
I've been kicking this idea around for a while.

Right now I'm just contacting you and one other blogger. Shannon Appelcline is the other.

I have only been blogging for 7 months, not as long as you guys, but long enough to know that I will keep it up. You two seem to make it a point to update your blogs at least a couple times each week, as do I. That is the reason I am writing you.

I was wondering if either of you is interested in co-writing a blog. I think a co-operative game blog that is updated nearly everyday would be interesting and have a sizable audience, especially if we all have come from a different perspective. ...

I'm not asking you to abandon your current blog. Just write something on another blog whenever you feel like it, hopefully once each week.

Like I said, it is just an idea I've been kicking around. If you are interested you probably have another person or two in mind that might contribute, don't hesitate to ask them. If you have a different vision for such a blog, let me know. I am very flexible.

Let me know.

Brian "Coldfoot" Waters


---

Thanks Brian, thanks everyone on Gone Gaming, and thanks to everyone who has read or commented in this forum. All the voices of Gone Gaming and its readers will continue to help or entertain, in whatever form, on whatever forum. I'm sure of it.

Yehuda

2 comments:

Fraser said...

The byline rules must have changed over the last two and bit years, the original by line is too long, so one line had to be cut to make it fit.

Fraser said...

And because it doesn't like normal carriage returns, make that two lines :shake: