Friday, June 02, 2006

Trading Places

For those of you who missed the announcement on Sunday, we at Gone Gaming have put out the welcome mat for anyone who would like to submit material.

Guidelines are here.

-------------------

Gaming and gaming. Eating and eating.

That was a good article, wasn't it? A thought provoker. I've been thinking about it all week.

I'm not a boardgame snob, I'm a boardgame connoisseur. Yeeeeah, that's the ticket.

For those of you who are left scratching your head, all I can say is, "Miss a day, miss a lot."

-------------------

I don't have anywhere near enough of these taxi/game stories for a series. In fact I only have two. This is the second:

So, I'm driving a taxi one afternoon. I picked up a man and his son at the Comic Shop. He got into the cab and asked, "Who else sells games."

Hmm. This could be interesting, I thought. A gamer perhaps? "Well, the Comic Shop has the best selection," I said, "what game are you looking for?"

"Star Wars Monopoly."

"Star Wars Monopoly." At least I didn't get my hopes set very high before they were dashed. "Did you try WalMart or Fred Meyers?"

"We've been there. They didn't have it. Is there anyplace else that sells games?"

As I looked at him I just couldn't help myself. I put on my stupid face, which, by the way, is the same as my happy face and replied, "What game is it again?"

"Star Wars Monopoly."

"What kind of game is that?"

"What?"

"I've never heard of it. Is it like Settlers of Catan?"

"It's Star-Wars-Monopoly."

As much as I wanted to tell him Star Wars Monopoly is a dime a dozen at Value Village I shrugged and asked, "Is it a card game?"

"No, it's Monopoly. You know... Do not pass Go, Get Out of Jail Free."

"Monopoly."

"Yeah. Monopoly."

"Never heard of it."

No response. So I continued, "It's a Star Wars game, huh? I know there are some Lord of the Rings games in the Comic Shop. I think he carries Star Wars Miniatures. Is it like any of those?

"I don't think so. Anyway I need Star Wars Monopoly."

"Is it like Dungeons and Dragons? If it's like Dungeons and Dragons the Comic Shop is the only place that will have it?"

He just looked at me like I was goofy and asked, "Is there another store that sells games? The clerk said Toy Quest might have it."

"Yes, Toy Quest carries games." (Toy Quest is a superb, local toy store btw.)

"Do they sell Monopoly?"

"I don't know. Probably not. They don't have much of that obscure stuff. They don't have anything like Dungeons and Dragons either."

"What do they have?"

"They carry children's games. You know, like Scrabble and Trivial Pursuit, cribbage boards, stuff like that."

"Take us there then."

On the way to Toy Quest I learned that the fellow had been tasked by his wife to buy Star Wars Monopoly for a child's birthday party that evening. They didn't have it at WalMart? Go figure.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Man, that's a riot! I have to remember to try that some time when someone asks me about my hobby. "Board games? You mean like Monopoly?" "Mono-what?"

Anonymous said...

I laughed so hard I shot a meeple out of my nose. Wait, that's not a meeple.


ick

Coldfoot said...

You are a *bad* boy--and we love it!!

Yehuda Berlinger said...

That'll teach 'em. :-)

Yehuda